Can A Divorce Coach Help You Keep Your Legal Bills Under Control? Yes. Here’s How.
It’s common knowledge that divorce can be an emotionally and financially draining process. Legal fees can quickly add up, and for many people, the cost of divorce can be a significant financial burden. Sometimes this happens because people mistakenly rely on their attorney to support them through the emotional, as well as the legal, aspect of divorce. This can create stress and dissatisfaction for both parties.
Adding a coach for support and guidance through the emotional and practical aspects of divorce can keep legal bills under control and positively impact the process and the outcome.
How will an additional team member save you money? A good divorce coach adds value in many ways. Here are five of the most important:
- Set goals and priorities: There’s a lot of work that goes into preparing for the divorce process, and it’s often overwhelming. Most people are understandably confused about what to do first. A divorce coach can help you work through the overwhelm to better understand what you want to achieve and where you’re willing to compromise. This will help you make informed decisions and avoid unnecessary legal fees. A clear focus on what’s most important will mean you avoid getting caught up in smaller details that aren’t a good use of your attorney’s time (and your money!).
- Get organized: A divorce coach will help you sort through and organize everything you need, including timelines and deadlines, and identify the steps to avoid delays that can lead to additional legal fees.
- Communication and conflict management: When conflict and a lack of communication require your lawyer to intervene, legal fees can skyrocket. A divorce coach can help you develop effective communication skills, messages for friends and family, and educate you about managing hot buttons and boundaries. When you communicate effectively, you also improve the process and reduce misunderstandings, which minimizes the need for legal intervention.
- Advocate for you! The legal process is new to most people and can be confusing. By working closely with your lawyer and other professionals, such as mediators, a divorce coach will ensure that your needs are being met while providing support for you throughout the process.
- Emotional support: Support for your emotional journey through divorce isn’t extra, it’s essential! If you are using your lawyer as your coach or therapist, nobody wins. It will be expensive for you and unsatisfying for both of you. On the other hand, it’s a coach’s job to offer proven tools and strategies that will help you manage the stress and anxiety of divorce. Using these tools will help you make better decisions and avoid unnecessary legal fees.
Is adding a divorce coach the right step for you? Interview a few (almost everyone offers a free consultation) and ask how they can help you keep costs down, offer meaningful support, and support you as you move toward the amazing future you deserve.